The use of complicated mix of inquiry, knowledge, intuition, logic, experience and common sense is called critical thinking.
The following are the steps that should be considered when a problem is solved:
- Read the problem carefully.
- Plan in detail as to how the problem is to be solved.
- Specify definitely what each number represents and the units in which it is expressed when the mathematical operation is carried out.
- Having solved the problem, examine the answer to see if it is reasonable and practical.
- If the problem is not understood, have it explained to you at the very earliest possible time.